The environmental strategy of P. Levantis Development & Construction is an inseparable element of its general strategy. Energy saving and active participation for the protection of the physical environment, in order to produce greener developments and buildings, is achieved in four levels:
A) Concept, location and design of potential developments.
B) Technical specifications of buildings.
C) Construction methods and processes.
D) Management of natural resources and use of renewable energy
Commercial developments: Green buildings adjacent or close to Public Transportation Stations and preferably to Metro stations for developments in Athens.
• see why some locations are greener than others.
• see the reduction achieved in CO2 emissions by using the Metro in
Comparison with other transport modes.
Residential developments: Small or medium size developments
blended aesthetically with the surrounding physical environment.
Resort developments: Selection of local architecture, construction methods and sub-contractor (when companies quality and safety standards are met)
Elements of sustainable development
An enhanced lifecycle of a building contributes in energy saving in the long
term. This enhanced lifecycle is accomplished by incorporating flexibility
elements in the design of a building. As a result, future alterations and
modifications are viable quickly, economically and with minimum
Aesthetic coordination - design
· All design phases go through a green approach from widely recognized design teams with know how and experience in the specific field.
· Building designs are created without standardization disposition or mass production properties.
· Aesthetic coordination and adaption to the physical environment and surroundings is ensured.
· Best building positioning and orientation of elevations is achieved.
Â) TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS OF BUILDINGS
Energy saving passive systems
· Appropriate analogy of external windows in order to control thermal loads, natural light and physical ventilation.
· Increased thermal insulation of external facades of buildings.
· Thermal breakage in aluminum frameworks.
· Solar control, anti-glare and low U value double glazing.
· External shading systems (in south & west elevations), electrically controlled for effective reduction of thermal loads during hot seasons. Furthermore, natural light and glare is controlled throughout the year.
· Sufficient natural light in order to minimize artificial lighting during daylight.
· Light color paints in buildings interior.
· Construction of basements for car parking and immediately above them construction of green roofs.
· Gardens are materialized from local plants resulting in the reduction of physical (water, fertilizer etc) and human resources (extensive care from gardeners etc).
· Green roofs (offering higher thermal insulation) with special soil, approximately 20cm thick, which absorbs heavy metals from the atmosphere and converts them to fertilizer. Furthermore the whole system, which consists from very durable plants, requires minimum physical, human and economic resources.
Energy saving active systems
· Complete building installations with highly efficient lighting fixtures and latest generation low energy consumption bulbs.
· Lighting control systems installation resulting in 25% reduction in energy consumed.
· Full heating installation with natural gas (and cooling in commercial buildings).
· Multi-zone design and installation.
· Fully independent and autonomous systems per level and per segment according to orientation.
· Air volume control of mechanical ventilation for reduction of thermal loads.
· Solar panels for the production of hot water.
C) CONSTRUCTION METHODS AND PROCESSES
· Construction waste management from certified contractors according to legislation.
· Strict safety and hygiene rules in construction sites.
· Disturbance minimization and safety maximization for neighbor buildings and people.
· Continuous monitoring of hazardous construction materials, methods and processes for humans and the physical environment.
Selection of construction materials, methods and processes.
Qualifying materials, methods and processes ensure:
· Recycling option.
· Lower energy demand during manufacturing process.
· Environmental friendly properties.
· Minimized transportation distance from manufacturing point to construction site.
D) MANAGEMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES AND RENEWABLES
Research and applications in new developments is an ongoing concern.
Indicatively are stated:
· PV systems installation in roofs and elevations for the production of electricity which partially provide electrical power for the building.
· Vented facades.
· Dual flush WC mechanisms (6/4 litres).
· Preventing leakages in WCs with shut off valves.
· Incorporation of tanks for storing rain water.